The Firehall Theatre Society/ Firehall Arts Centre is looking for Board Members!
The Firehall Arts Centre has a rich place in the history of Vancouver. It is well recognized as a place where new and established artists, performers, playwrights, choreographers and theatre workers of all backgrounds produce and present their work. The Firehall connects communities and its mission is to showcase provocative performing and visual arts reflective of the diversity of Canada. We have the following core values:
Community: We nurture our local and artistic communities.
Inclusion: We commit to welcoming a diversity of artists and audiences to the world of professional performing and visual arts.
Transparency: We conduct business in an ethical and transparent manner.
Education: We educate and inspire our artists, our staff and our audiences.
Sustainability: We commit to the fiscal and environmental sustainability of our artistic practice.
Please visit firehallartscentre.ca for more information.
Board Director Opportunity
We seek applications from those interested in joining The Firehall Arts Centre Society Board. The Board is primarily responsible for:
- Ensuring the organization achieves its mission and strategic plan
- Ensuring that the Board conducts its own stewardship process appropriately
- Supporting and overseeing the Artistic Producer’s role in continuously driving the success of the organization
Specifically we are looking for volunteers with any, or a combination of, the following skills:
- Arts/Non-Profit Business Management
- Partnership Engagement
- Human Resources (especially in recruitment and succession)
- Organizational leadership/Board leadership experience
- Past board governance experience and a passion for the arts is an asset
- Experience and interest in becoming a Committee Chair is an asset
All Directors should also have the following personal attributes:
- Ability to commit to the responsibilities and time of being an engaged Director
- Willingness to act as an ambassador for the organization
- Communication skills which embraces diversity of thought
- Strong bias to learn and the ability to make sound independent judgement
- High degree of integrity in personal dealings
- Big picture and strategic thinking
- Team player and the ability to build on working relationships
Term: Directors’ terms are for two years with an option to renew.
Commitment: It is expected that those interested will devote the time to being an engaged Director. This requires:
- Monthly Board meetings and Committee meetings as required (currently held online but returning to the Firehall Arts Centre in Vancouver when safe)
- Commitment to the work and participation of at least one Committee (not including Committees of the whole)
- Preparing for meetings and conducting related work outside of formal meetings
- Participation in fundraising activities and other Board and organizational events, as required
In total this may require roughly 6 – 8 hours each month. In addition, Directors are expected to make an annual donation to the organization and attend performances if possible.
Interested individuals are invited to submit a letter of interest and resume to Jenn Fong (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 5, 2021. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you for your interest.